PRE-CONFERENCE FOCUS DAY | MONDAY JUNE 17
Download the Full Event Guide to see the expert speakers, a full in-depth 3-day agenda, the hours of networking opportunities, and how you can get involved in the discussion - all in one document!
Strategically Aligning Business Goals & Management of Teams
10:30 am Check-In, Refreshments & Networking
11:20 am Chair’s Opening Remarks
Managing Your Commissioning Talent
11:30 am Attracting & Hiring Talent to Build a Highly-Skilled Commissioning Team & Overcome Current Skills Gaps
- Alan Roche Director of Commissioning and Integration, Stack Infrastructure Inc
With an ever-worsening skilled labor shortage, it is paramount for companies to attract and hire top talent to meet high capacity and stay competitive. By attending this session, discover how to proactively meet your company’s commissioning requirements by creating a plan to attract and hire the most qualified commissioners.
- Exploring creative recruitment strategies that understand differing motivations of potential employees to ensure a better cultural fit and higher job satisfaction among employees
- Discussing the importance of tapping into different skillsets and demographics, such as field experience, veterans and minority groups, for a robust commissioning workforce for successfully navigating diverse projects • Engaging with schools and promoting trade careers to increase awareness of commissioning as a rewarding role and create a pipeline of future talent
- Cultivating a positive employer brand within the commissioning industry: how can you showcase a rewarding yet challenging work environment to attract top talent?
12:30 pm Lunch & Networking
1:30 pm Training & Retaining Commissioning Talent to Invest in the Long-Term Resilience of Your Firm
- Cameron Minor Commissioning Manager, M C Dean Inc.
With the retirement of experienced commissioners, it is imperative companies invest in learning and development and focus on training to retain knowledge. Join this session and gain practical insights into upskilling your team and empowering them to navigate the complexities of the job in the face of workforce transitions.
- Implementing structured onboarding processes to ensure strong foundations for new commissioning team members to confidently approach commissioning tasks for your organization
- Exploring different training approaches, such as in-person training, remote learning and training videos to continuously upskill both field commissioning and project management teams and ensure teams stay up-to-date on the latest technologies and advancements
- Establishing a system of knowledge sharing to develop lessons learned and encourage tangible change
Maintaining Your Competitive Edge
2:30 pm What Are the Upcoming Markets & How Can We Enter Them to Stay Ahead of the Curve in 2024: How are Solar, Battery Storage & Advanced Manufacturing Changing Commissioning?
- Mattea Brown Commissioning Program Manager, Intel
Many commissioning firms find themselves ill-equipped to handle the unique challenges posed by new building systems, especially with many now expected to commission across multiple facility-types, rather than specialize in one. This session will explore arising markets and share best practices in exploring new opportunities to ensure your business remains competitive in the ever-evolving complexities of commissioning and differing market types.
- Leveraging industry relationships to foster a robust understanding of upcoming opportunities and project acquisition
- Navigating market trends to plan for adaptability and manage external risk factors proactively
- Developing strategic response plans to industry growth to address concerns with safeguarding and scaling your business in unfamiliar markets
3:30 pm Afternoon Refreshments
4:00 pm Elevating Commissioning in a Commoditized Environment to Stand Out as Expert Partners
- Brett Farbstein Associate Vice President - National Commissioning Services Leader & Resilient Design Champion, Cannon Design
In an era where commissioning practices are becoming more standardized and commoditized, distinguishing your unique value proposition is crucial to stand out in a highly competitive landscape. Gain valuable perspectives on differentiating your offerings, highlighting your organization’s distinctive advantages and navigating the challenges posed by an increasingly standardized commissioning environment.
- Emphasizing unique competitive advantages and value propositions your organization offers to ensure owners recognize the value add of your services
- Debating the difference between checking boxes and providing a tiered, high-value commissioning service to uncover the nuanced differences
- Stressing a focused approach on the end goal of commissioning to deliver fully functional, optimized and performing buildings that align with the owner’s vision
- Implementing an owner-centric approach that goes beyond standard commissioning practices to solidify long-term relationships or win new business